Friday, January 30, 2009

Some times good guys don't wear white.

Alright so I’m into jade empire now, it took me a bit but its getting interesting now and even thought the story line hasn’t really progressed much because of the thousand and one side quests. They sure know how to make a side quest interesting over there at Bioware, from helping a scorned women get vengeance against her ex-boy friend through brutal murder or helping some spirits get some peace in the after life there is a lot more subplot lines in this game then most of the other games that I’ve play. Last night I had to force myself to stop playing before the assault on a Lotus Assassins stronghold, it was 4 and I had to work the next day so it was quit or sleep walk my way through work not that I’ve never done that before . At the pace that I’m playing this game right now I think I can have this game beaten by next weekend if nothing big comes up in the real world.

What I really want to write about is the option to play a good or evil character, Bioware an a few other companies have started implemented in there RPG games. The opportunity to effect the morality of the character you are playing is really interesting to me and it does some what effect the path of the game. In my case as hard as I try there’s no way I can play an evil character in a video game like this. Already in Jade Empire I’ve played the open handed course, which is basically the good guys: halo and all. For some reason playing the good guy is the only way I play a video game, which is funny because I love the Grand theft auto games….you can’t be a saint all the time. Playing the closed fist path might have been fun but in the end I would just end up having a case of pixilated guilt.

The first case of this was Fable, I loved the legacy building mechanics as the begging of the game, and basically your actions effect how you start the game. It was really simple and brilliant the way small actions like stopping a bully from stealing a doll from a little girl or taking it yourself changing your character. So the first time I played fable I played the good guy, but the second time I was the bad guy…it didn’t really last very long. Makes me wonder why they would want to screw with my emotions like that, when the little girl started crying after I took her doll I felt TERRIABLE and instantly regretted it. The worst part are the NPC's that say things like “I have a family, please don’t kill me!” or “Why are you doing this to me?” hearing that kind of makes you want to apologize to them and why; consider there just failed actors that are doing voice work because they aren’t getting enough hours at McDonalds. Either way it didn’t really effect the game much, they do look different depending on which way you go and they treated different but they story line pretty much stays the same, to be honest I couldn’t continue on the evil path and quit the game shortly after I started it…man I’m a wimp.

Fallout 3 for me is the same way and yes I’m a good guy again, it would be a lot easier to be evil if they didn’t give every character a voice. Man it’s like an emotional cheese grater when you hurt people in that game too, the reactions of the people after you do something evil like say…killing the Sheriff of megaton, everyone in town starts shooting or stabbing you. In that case it’s good that it didn’t auto save cause I felt like shit after doing that, if my Mom hadn’t instilled bullshit like “values” and “respect for human life” in me then I might be enjoying this game more. It’s strange how good and evil paths effect me in video game worlds, I’ve never had any problem killing the citizens of Los Santos in Grand Theft Auto. The only difference is the halo or horns that show up on my head after I commit an act of good or bad thing that causes a ripple in the world around me. But enough of this, I’m going to try to be evil in Knights of the old republic…I hope for my sake the dark side is the right path for me.

TIME FOR A SMOKE!

No comments:

Post a Comment