Thursday, April 9, 2009

Highly Addictive and Replay Factor

Have you ever played a game where it just seems like they nailed it perfectly and you found yourself playing the same levels over and over again? I want this to happen more often. Dead Space did it. It was fairly repetitive but it was solid all the way through. And seriously, think back to when you were a kid. Alright, people under the age of 25 might not understand this unless they had an older brother or sister that was into gaming. But sit there and think. What were your favorite games growing up? I would be willing to place money that it was something off of the Atari, Nintendo, or an arcade game. What made those so much fun? They were simplistic games after all right? Compared to what's out there today yeah. Come on, Frogger? You have to get a frog from one side of the screen to the other. Pitfall? You have to swing over things and jump over logs, holes, and fires. Or how about QBert? That fucker just jumped from platform to platform lighting them up like he was Michael Jackson or something. All simplistic games and highly addictive.

If you're wondering where I am going with this here's where. I've started playing quite a bit of the Playstation network games lately. Bionic Comando, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD, Everyday Shooter, and the best one out of all of them, Worms. I never caught the Worms craze back in the day. To me it just reminded me of the turn based missile command games you could play online for free where all you would do is place the projectile at what height you wanted it at and then held down the space bar until you got the desired power. Well, I was wrong. I was so wrong and now I wish I had played them back in the day. Very simple game and there's nothing better than some cartoon worm violence. There's something really satisfying about swinging over to a worm on the ledge and just poking him off or setting off the detonator right next to him so he gets blown off the screen. I'm not even going to go into how much fun it is to send an explosive sheep over to your enemies.

I'm not really asking anything of the game industry. If all the games went back and started over from square one and they made them that simple from now until the end of time I think I would get a little bored. I do like my first person shooters after all and if I really want to play a dumbed down first person shooter I'll throw in a little Duke Nukem for old times sake. I just want quality. Thanks to every game company that's working on putting out little titles on the Playstation Network or XBox Live. Those games are really amazing if you're in the mood for them.

I guess I lied. I do want something from the game industry now. What I want the game to be something that has a decent replay factor to it. Again, Dead Space actually had replay value to it which I thought was a little strange but was a pleasant surprise. I wish Uncharted: Drake's Fortune would have had a little more replay value to it. Unfortunately it didn't and the only time I throw it in is when I want to show it to someone. It was as close to an Indiana Jones video game that didn't suck as there ever will be. Lucas Arts could learn a thing or two from that game. Everything was done perfectly. I have yet to play an Indiana Jones game that didn't suck. Think about it. Can you honestly even name a title of an Indiana Jones game off of the top of your head? Didn't think so and if you do name one you probably opened up another browser and googled or wiki'd it. Cheater.

First person shooter games have that replay value to them now. They really didn't have that much replay before to be honest. It was more the challenge to beat the game. Now with first person shooters they are almost always throwing on the obligatory online aspect with various game modes. Death Match baby. This is where their replay value comes into play. Nothing feels better than mowing down people using mics that are saying "Nigger this or Nigger that." Seriously, when I tell my friends I am hopping online to play some death match all I have to say is "I'm killing Nigger Haters" and they know exactly what I am talking about. And you know damn well it's some ignorant stupid white kid or even worse an ignorant man child spewing out that crap which makes it oh so satisfying when you mow them down.

Anyway, I am rambling on. I think it's either time to crash or time to kill some nigger haters. I so wish they had a filter or a way to block those morons from playing. If you're going to talk smack at least be a little more creative and go after the Asians. Just kidding.

1 comment: