Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Shame of Defeat and The thrill of victory, while playing Panzer Dragoon orta.

Panzer dragoon was one of those games that I got frustrated that frustrated the shit out of me and did until I finally beat it. This is the third time I’ve came back to this game, the first couple weren’t very successful I remember having a hell of a time just getting past the first board on my first attempt at playing. On a side note brother beat this game in a week, I guess he deals with frustration better than I do because he said he “Whipped right through it” and I’ll never forgive him for that. It was the second time I played the game that I really got on a roll and break through to the end but got stuck on the boss. So basically it took three times at stopping and starting to really beat the game, as far as I can tell nothing has changed sense I played this game the first time maybe I have a little more patience for this type of old school shooter, we’ll see about that when I start playing Mega Man again.

But enough about my lack of video game skill, this game is “Old School” it feels like a Nintendo game in the way that every boss/enemy has a pattern to how they move and the way they shoot. The reason I was finally able to beat this game is because I finally realized that fact and was able to figure out his patterns then it was like bam next thing I know he’s a puddle of shape shifting goop. Another interesting thing about this game is the way that your character moves around the world, they figured out a way to make it feel like your giving directions to the dragon your riding as much as your controlling the little girl on top who shoots at the enemies. Basically you’re the center of 360 degree ratios’ and the enemies are coming at you from all sides, using the triggers on the controller to spin yourself around on that axis and to burst forward or backward to dodge enemies attacks. Along with its beautiful art style that I can only describe as vibrant colors with seizer inducing flashes of enemies, this game was stylized before they started using that word for Wii games as a substitute for shitty art.

All and all I’m really glad I stuck it out and finally beat it because I had a better sense of accomplishment from beat this game this I have for any of the other that I finished on my to way to shrinking my pile of shame. Thats two pretty much in the course of a week, I might have to change shuffle the order of my "pos" to make sure that I at least beat two games this month. Kotor is taking a hell of a lot longer then I thought it was going to.

TIME TO SMOKE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment